Thursday, May 20, 2010

April 7, 2010




Sweet Maryn,

Sometimes I feel like you are beyond easy description. You constantly amaze me. There are often times your daddy and I will see you do something and look at each other and wonder where a particular quality you have came from. What we quickly conclude is....God. You are powerful! You make me swoon constantly. You mouth is set to constant chatter. Your mind is set to contantly question. Your spirit is set to accept and absorb all that is around you. You miss absolutely nothing! I love you. You make me feel alive and exhausted all in one breath!

People are drawn to you and I see that on a regular basis. This is a quality I can't wait to see how God nurtures in your life as you grow. Often when we go to the park you will adopt a new family and a new friend. One time recently we went to play after school and you came back to me holding a snack (still completely wrapped....because, you know, we can't just take food from strangers!!!) , with your hair put up in a ponytail, some sunscreen on, and pulling along a new friend you had met. You insisted I exchange phone numbers with her mom so we could get together really soon. I did. Recently at a restaurant you went over to a family while we were waiting for our table and engaged them in conversation. I am always trying to make sure you are not bothering people like some kids do. But I can instantly see that they are smitten with you and encouraging your conversation. Another time we went out to eat and you became fast friends with a little girl at the next table who invited you over to color. You wanted her phone number also and sometime have a hard time understanding that sometimes we just meet people for a short time and then move on. Every person you meet you want to become a part of their lives and them yours. I could go on with countless examples like this. Your daddy and I are not this way at all. Sometimes I wonder if there was a time that we were. And if at some point in our lives we lost it for whatever reason. I hope you never lose this part of you. Ever. Being around you and seeing your love for life is infectious!

You love art and being crafty. You are forever finding scraps of paper and making them into something. Today I walked out of my classroom and saw a picture you had drawn in art class of your favorite teacher...it was me!! I love it. You painted your first masterpiece last weekend and came home asking if you could go back every day. You would rather be in your art room than watching TV. You love to read, especially Calvin & Hobbes, in bed with your flashlight. But I have to say, more than anything I have seen this year, you LOVE gymnastics. I am not even sure love is a strong enough word. We tried some organized sports with you before: basketball, well that was it really. You had no interest in soccer when it came around. You don't seem to have a thing for team sports. But gymnastics, that has been your thing. I have been so proud watching you persevere through difficulties than in other activities you have given up. With gymnastics, you take a moment to clear your head when you have problems. Sometimes you shed a tear. But you get right back up and try it again. And I am not exaggerating in the least to say that you spend every possible free second doing cartwheels, round offs, and back bends. I do mean every second. You told me recently that you want to be in the Olympics doing gymnastics, and artist, and a teacher when you grow up.

At school, you love being around your friends. You love your teacher and I can see she equally adores you. You have made the AB Honor Roll all year. You heart had grown to hear God's word and understand what that means in your life. All of your school papers include some kind of doodling. Your handwriting needs some help and you are starting to struggle with math. I will be spending the coming summer drilling your math facts to keep you up to speed. Your absolute favorie subject is Science. Some days in the afternoon we come home from school and while Dylan is relaxing watching TV or playing a game...you will be in the kitchen with a bowl full of water and a bunch of household things trying to see what sinks and what floats. You have an insatiable desire to learn new things.

My prayer for you:

I pray that God will continue to grow in your heart. I pray that every person that is drawn to you will see God's love and that he will be glorified by the things you say and how you treat those around you. I pray that God will keep you healthy and strong and will protect you as you cartwheel through each day.

I love you so much!

M.A.D.L.Y

No comments: